Index / Match
Both of the functions of Index and match can be useful but when you combine the two they are very effective.
=index(list of values, match(match value, from this list, type of match))
- Index by itself returns the value of a specific cell.
- Match searches for a cell value in a group of cells
The type of match is normally 0 for exact
- In our example we will use the team members of the Edmonton Oilers
- We are trying to find the position of a player by searching by the name
- We will type in the name of the player that we are trying to find
- Below the position we will type the formula
=index(players positions, match(player's name, from the list of player's names, exact match))
- The result is then displayed
- Note: to drag down the formula to obtain another positon by player, the ranges of the formula must be made absolute.
- How to make an absolute reference
Youtube video how to use Index Match
MY videos are all created on Camtasia.
TechSmith Camtasia Click Here